Back to the Basics
I figured before I could start a website dedicated to education, teaching, and becoming a teacher, I should take a step back and define what it is that I will be talking about.
What is education? (Google Dictionary)
1. The process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.
2. An enlightening experience.
- To prepare children for citizenship
- To cultivate a skilled workforce
- To teach cultural literacy
- To help students become critical thinkers
- To help students compete in a global marketplace
What is a teacher? (dictionary.reference.com)
1. A person who teaches or instructs, especially as a profession instructor.
- A teacher teaches students, not a subject matter.
- A teacher never ever gives up.
- A teacher is a gift. Cherish them.
Why become a teacher? (CollegeXpress)
1. It’s fun.
2. You’ll learn a lot.
3. It will help you keep your own life in perspective.
4. Teaching is a very respectable profession.
5. Teachers get to be a positive influence on the next generation of young people.
While all of this information is just the basics, it’s a solid starting ground for the information that will be presented in the days/weeks/months/years to come!